Preparing The Bao Buns
1. Put ‘The Dry Mix’ ingredients into the bowl of a free-standing mixer fitted with a dough hook attached (if available).
2. Mix ‘The Liquid’ ingredients together into a measuring jug. Then slowly pour the liquid into the mixer while kneading on a low speed for around 2 minutes until all the water is mixed into the flour. Once combined, turn the speed up to high for a further 2 minutes until the dough has a smooth yet tacky feel to it.
3. Once the dough has been well kneaded, dust with 2 tablespoons of flour, scraping off any additional dough on the sides of the bowl.
4. Shape the dough into a rough ball, and then coat it lightly with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil; put the dough back into the bowl and cover with a damp cloth to leave aside in a warm, preferably moist, draft-free location (such as inside a room temperature oven) for 1 – 1.5 hours.
5. Once the dough has doubled in size, you can then shape it into whatever shape you wish before steaming.
Steaming The Bao Buns
6. Steaming time will vary between 8 – 15 minutes depending on the shape and size of your finished buns (the thinner the bun, the shorter the steaming time).
How To Make Steamed Bao Buns
View Our Products
Have you been inspired by our tips and recipes? Why not check out our ranges below! From our exclusive range of woks to our cookery classes that will help inspire your cooking further.