1. Finely dice the ginger, spring onions, water chestnuts and prawns and put them in a large bowl. Add the crab meat, pork mince and all the marinade ingredients and mix together to form a smooth paste.
2. Fill a bowl with cold water. Dip the palms of your hands into the water, then pick up and roll a portion of the meatball mix into ping pong sized balls. Repeat until all the mix has been used, placing the meatballs on a large cold plate once rolled.
3. Half-fill a large pot, wok or deep-fryer with vegetable oil and heat to 180°C (350°F), or until the tip of a wooden chopstick or skewer starts to fizz after a second or so in the oil. Deep-fry the meatballs in batches for 4 minutes until golden brown, then remove from the oil and leave to drain on kitchen towel.
4. While the meatballs are draining, make the sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a separate saucepan over a medium heat. Add the ginger and the Chinese leaf and fry for 2–3 minutes, then add the oyster sauce and stock and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat to a simmer, carefully lower the meatballs into the sauce and leave to cook, covered, for 30–40 minutes until the sauce has thickened by half. Spoon the meatballs and sauce into bowls and serve with steamed rice
Recipe from: Jeremy Pang's Chinese Unchopped (Quadrille £19.99)
View Our Products
Have you been inspired by our tips and recipes? Why not check out our ranges below! From our exclusive range of woks to our cookery classes that will help inspire your cooking further.