1. Put the cooked rice in a small bowl and run a spoon through the grains to separate them as much as possible. (This will help when you add the rice to the dish later).
2. In a separate small bowl, crack your egg and whisk with a fork until smooth.
3. BUILD YOUR WOK CLOCK: place your egg bowl at 12 o’clock, then arrange the rice, peas, and sauce ingredients clockwise around the plate.
4. Heat your wok over its highest heat (rating: 10/10). When the wok is fully heated, add ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil, swirling it around the sides of the wok until it reaches smoking-point. Then, carefully pour the egg into the centre of the wok, bringing the heat down slightly (rating: 7/10), before pushing into the egg, slowly moving it around the pan and making sure it doesn’t burn.
5. Now push the egg to one side of the wok to allow space for your rice, add another 1⁄2 tablespoon of vegetable oil and bring it back to a high heat (rating: 9/10). Add the rice to the wok and mix well with the egg, trying to separate the rice grains with your ladle so as to remove any large clumps. Once the rice is well mixed, add the peas and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute.
6. Next, pour both the soy sauce and sesame oil over the rice, turning the heat down slightly (rating: 7/10) and stir-frying until the rice has absorbed all the soy sauce and become drier, about 1 minute.
7. Once the grains of rice are ‘jumping’ around the bottom of your wok, the rice is ready. (We call this ‘dancing rice’ in the school.) Serve - and enjoy!
How To Make Egg Fried Rice
View Our Products
Have you been inspired by our tips and recipes? Why not check out our ranges below! From our exclusive range of woks to our cookery classes that will help inspire your cooking further.